Saturday, December 14, 2019

Blocked Bile Duct Surgery- The Safest Surgical Procedure for an Infant


Hello everyone! I am Patricia, an IT professional from Australia. Being married for nearly five years, I was unable to conceive. The various doctors I consulted could not trace the exact reasons for it. But my baby “Karishma”, she came in my life as a miracle and filled my life with bliss and happiness. But my joy was short-lived as my baby angel suffered from jaundice just after two to three weeks of her birth. Getting her treated by the best pediatrician, made me all the more cautious about her health and I started to be a little extra careful with Karishma. But all my efforts turned fruitless as my baby doll started to suffer from jaundice recurrently and she showed very poor weight gain. Also, I noticed that her urine was dark-colored and her stools were clay-colored.


Anxious I reached my pediatrician’s clinic and described the symptoms in great detail. I wanted the doctor to do a thorough examination of my baby doll and ensure that she will be alright. The doctor patiently listened to me and advised me to undergo some tests along with the physical examination of my baby. On examining the results, the doctor only turned more and more serious and started speaking in a firm voice “You know the liver is one of the most important organs of our body and it produces “Bile” – a yellowish-brown to greenish colored fluid whose primary function is to assist digestion especially of lipids in the small intestine. There is a small bag like an organ called the “Gall Bladder” which is situated near the liver. The bile though is continuously produced by the liver, is stored in the gall bladder and hence bile is also called by the name “Gall.” This bile is transported to various parts of the body like the intestines, kidneys, and stomach. If these ducts are absent altogether by birth or if they are very narrow or blocked due to inflammation this condition is called as “Biliary Atresia.”

“Can you explain in detail?” I asked the doctor with a partial understanding of the disease.

“Biliary Atresia is a condition occurring only in infants. which is children below the age of one year. I am afraid, your baby Karishma suffers from this condition. This is a progressive disease which is also known as progressive obliterative cholangiopathy and extrahepatic ductopenia. Since the bile is trapped in the liver, it causes damage to the liver in the form of scarring or liver cirrhosis eventually leading to liver failure. This causes other functional disturbances like issues with constriction of veins and causes difficulty in the supply of blood.”

“How can it be treated, doctor?” I asked a lot of apprehensions.

“If the disease is in the initial phase, it can be treated by medications and vitamin-rich diets. If medications cannot cure it, then surgical interventions are needed. I recommend surgery for Karishma.”

“S—u—rgery?” I said stammering with fear of complications.

“Don’t worry, the Kasai Procedure is the most convenient and standard treatment for Biliary Atresia. In this surgery, the blocked bile ducts are replaced with a part of the baby’s small intestine. This will restore the normal bile flow and improve the child’s condition. This is one of the safest surgical procedures.”

I started looking out for available options, but the huge costs and long waiting time made me look out for other options. As a part of my desperate search, I came across Forerunners Healthcare Consultant, the most visited and most trusted consultants for Kasai Procedure. I filled up the free consultation form and there was a timely response with a teleconsultation from the most experienced and skilled surgeons from India. I trusted them and reached India within a few days and had my baby doll operated for blocked bile ducts Treatment in India. My angel Karishma recovered after the surgery due to the best treatment that my baby received. I will always be indebted to Forerunners Healthcare for their best and affordable treatment which breathed a fresh new life in my baby.


Thanking You

Mrs. Patricia Coleman

Canberra, Australia











0 comments:

Post a Comment