Liver Transplant Overview
Who might Need a Liver transplant?
- Those people whose condition will benefit from a liver transplant
- For those whom surgery would do more good than harm
How to Perform Liver Transplant Surgery
Who Donate the Liver
- Deceased liver donor: The liver transplant surgery can be done with a deceased donor from someone who has died. A large majority of liver transplant surgery uses the entire liver from a non-living donor for the transplant, particularly for adult recipients.
- Living donor: Usually, a living donor is someone in the family or a close friend.
Cost of Liver Transplant surgery in India
- Extensive lab tests
- Recovery and in-hospital stay
- Fees for the transplant surgeons and the operating room personnel
- Transplantation to the hospital
- Organ recovery
- Lodging, transportation and food for family members while the patient has been hospitalized
- Patient lodging following discharge
- Physical therapy and rehabilitation
- Anti-rejection drugs and other medications